• Page:

TOPIC: Team Galen

Team Galen 11 Mar 2014 17:49 #3364

• StevenC
  • StevenC's Avatar Topic Author
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 0
Team Galen is made up of a group of cyclists from Greystones, Cycle Plus, Bray Wheelers and the UK who will depart Mizen Head on May 3rd, 2014, riding an 800km route to Malin Head over 4 days.
It's a big undertaking. Some of us, such as Galen's brother Daniel, have barely ridden a bike before. But we all want to do something significant to to let Galen, Michelle, Kailuca, Tasiana and Levi know that their family, friends, work colleagues and the local community are all behind them and ready to give them our support.
Arriving at this page means you already know what happened to Galen last year so let's look forwards and not go over what has passed. Our hope is that you're as keen as we are to do something that will make a real difference to him and his family. You can express your support by making a donation. Donations are transferred directly to Galen from this site.
Whether you grew up with Galen; got to know him through Michelle, Kailuca, Tasiana and Levi; met him by living in Greystones; work with him at the Irish Daily Mail; or rode with him at Bray Wheelers and Wicklow Tri, you'll know he's a one-off. Cycling and fitness define Galen and there are few athletes with a more generous spirit. Galen is the guy who'd ride at the back of the pelaton, leaving the group to rescue stragglers and keep everyone together. But while Galen would be the first person to help someone else, he would be the last person to draw attention to himself.
So, it's our turn to give Galen a back wheel to follow and let him ride in our slipstream for a bit while we face the wind for him. With this fund raising we want to show Galen just how many people there with him. So, please get behind our team and give generously if you can.
To make a donation simply enter an an amount follow the link below:

www.eventbrite.ie/e/team-galen-registration-10804156523

Our sincerest thanks
Team Galen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Team Galen 13 Mar 2014 12:32 #3374

• Oonagh
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm delighted to have been able to put my name down for this cycle, as a replacement for Damo who will be tapering for his duel with the daemons in Lanza!

As Steven stated below a donation of any size would be hugely appreciated, and perhaps the link could be shared on fb to help generate a bit more publicity?

We'll be doing a few other events, bag packing, sponsored turbo session (which I'm dreading more than the event itself!) so hopefully word will spread quickly.

One way to get miles into the legs I suppose- I will also be a permanent fixture on the N11 after work for the next few weeks should anyone want to join me?

Re: Team Galen 09 May 2014 13:31 #3801

• Oonagh
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks a million to everyone who supported our charity cycle last weekend, It was a fantastic experience and completely worth the saddle sores!

Our route was perfect, took in the infamous Caha pass which never fails to break my heart, and all the wilds of Clare and Connemara before heading up through Donegal. Our first day was a bit longer than expected as we hadn't realised the Killarney rally was on so we cycled up Molls gap and had to double back due to road closures...lucky I love hills ;)

I think the highlight for me was cycling into Ballyvaughan in Clare, where my family and anyone they could grab were standing with banners and horns making as much of a racket as possible, having been waiting for about an hour! Or maybe the break neck speeds we all reached descending into Letterkenny. I swear I told at least one person there was a roundabout at the end of the hill- just maybe not in time for it to filter to everyone else

The last bit to Malin is 'lumpy' to say the least, and when you get to Malin village, there's still a testing 16k to Malin head, that signpost was a nasty shock so be warned. When I went to clip back in and roll back to the B+B, my pedal snapped clean off so I literally hadn't another stroke left in the bike!

So far we have raised over €25,000 which is enough to refit the house and get Galen and his family (inc. the latest arrival) home and settled. Will has also arranged for a specially designed custom carbon handbike to be delivered. Galen's positivity and determination towards overcoming the inevitable challenges his injury posses is hugely inspirational.

So moral of the story, my TT bike is no longer for sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveMcD, Paul Evans, michaelp

Re: Team Galen 09 May 2014 14:26 #3804

• marieb
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 57
Hats off to you and the team it is some achievement and to raise that amount of money is fantastic - it will make such a difference to Galen and his family.

Maybe you can lead the club cycle Malin to Mizen in 2015 :)

Re: Team Galen 09 May 2014 14:59 #3806

• Paul Evans
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 27
Great achievement , well done all ,inspiring stuff ! :cheer:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds