I have taken on the role as the WTC safety office for 2015 and I would appreciate if you could spend a few minutes reading the points below:
1) We would like to compile a list of members who have a medical or first aid qualification and are regularly out on the Saturday spins, over the years nurse Jenny has patched a few of us up & it would be good to know if there any other members that could assist if an accident occurs.
2) There is a Safety section under the "Members" heading on the Wicklow Tri website, I would encourage you to familiarise yourself with the "Bike safety guidelines" document. (I appreciate that some of the documentation is out of date, but we will update it in the coming months)
3) If there are any near near misses or accidents on the Saturday spins, can you make sure that I am informed, we will identify the root cause and take the appropriate measures to help prevent a similar accident occurring in the future. (My e-mail address is email@example.com)
4) Make sure you are visible we would strongly recommend that you get a flashing red light for the back of your bike, for those grey winter days.
5) Make sure you are dressed appropriately for winter spins (Always have a spare layer in your back pocket)
6) Always have food & a drink with you with you.
If you get cold and hungry it is very easy to lose concentration & have a spill.
7) Make sure you are familiar with the "cycling etiquette" while riding in a group (See Cycling etiquette section of "bike safety guidelines" document.
If you have any feedback on the above, please drop me an e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveMcD, kgraham, niall l, michaelp
We only gone one response to last weeks safety post, so if you do have a medical or first aid qualification and are regularly out on the Saturday spins & wouldn't mind helping out if an incident does occur can you e-mail me. Colm.email@example.com
Also the video below gives some good tips on pre-ride bike checks.