Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Saturday Cycles version 2

Saturday Cycles version 2 28 Jan 2017 22:44 #11580

• JDarcy1
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 138
Well done to the new group 6. A great start for 2017. Think I'll join you next week

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Saturday Cycles version 2 29 Jan 2017 03:28 #11581

• GabyD
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 7
I have been a member of this club for nearly 10 years and I can safely safe say that this year has been the first year that bragging rights about the different groups on the Saturday spin have become a regular feature on the forum. There are different groups for a reason and not everyone fits into one specific group and there are days when some groups are more difficult than others and some days when some groups are easier than others. Not everyone can be in one particular group. I have been a group leader for a number of years and have tried my best to ensure that everyone is welcome to our group, that everyone works in our group and that we all improve. And in the last two years that we follow Aidan's plan for us.
Our group numbers have increased of late and that is great and we now split our group into the recommended sizes. It is my own personal view that all groups should follow the recommended sizes. We can't all fit into the same group. My wish for 2017 is to see everyone work as a club, not as competing groups on a Saturday spin, to work in our groups, to respect each other and to respect other road users. We are the vunerable ones on the roads and we should ride accordingly.
Yes, we all have our own race goals, but surely we can achieve those by working together in our groups and helping each other and learning from each other. No doubt most of us have joined the sport for that very reason.
Personally I would like to see more members step up to the challenge of being a group leader and move out of their comfort zone.
We are very visible on the roads which is a good thing but at the same time we have to remember that we are easily identifiable. We don't own the road on a Saturday morning, we share it with others and we should always remember that.
I don't often post on the forum or rant but my sincere wish for this year is that we ride safely in our groups, irrespective of the level we might be at, we enjoy what we do and we improve collectively. Let's save the bragging rights for race day.
Gaby

Saturday Cycles version 2 29 Jan 2017 10:48 #11582

• Colm Flood
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 80
Hi Gaby,

I have read your post and certainly agree with the majority of the points that you make. I think there may just be a misunderstanding in terms of the purpose of putting a post training spin update on the forum, my motivation & I believe it would be Dave's as well, is to simply make members aware of the Distance, Average speed etc, with the aim of encouraging them to move up a group, I think it is unfortunate that this may have been interpreted as "bragging rights" as that was certainly not its intention.

Reading your post, the one thing that has struck me is that the Spin group leaders never really get the opportunity to discuss how the spins are going, what’s working well, what’s not working etc, with greater alignment & communication I am sure we can avoid similar scenarios occuring in the future. Maybe we should organise a coffee, after one of the training sessions.

In terms of yesterday’s spin, I believe splitting group 2 worked well and there was no groups out on the road that had greater then 10 members.

Talk soon.

Colm.

Last Edit: by Colm Flood.

Saturday Cycles version 2 29 Jan 2017 11:59 #11584

• DaveB
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Thank you received: 19
In addition to Colm's post, and for the benefit of everyone in the club, I just wanted to state that any suggestion of bragging rights being at the core of sharing stats on the forum is not correct and has never been our intention. I would encourage everyone to read the original posts on this topic where it is absolutely clear that the intention is to share information and create better awareness of the "actual" riding stats for each group, for comparision purposes, to help break down any nervousness or hesitation people might have progressing to the next group up. This is not a new thing either, stats on groups were shared many times in the past.

On a personal note, I hope that anyone who has cycled with me over the many years I have been in the club will understand that I am in fact quite offended by the suggestion of bragging. This goes against everything I have tried to do in terms of helping people progress, sharing my knowledge and generally wanting to be open and supportive of anyone looking to progress and give it a go.

However, being both offended and ridiculed in separate posts on a Satrurday evening is something I dont need nor wish to remain open to. Therefore I will not put up any further posts on stats. I felt strongly that Group 5 could help the progress of cycling in the club by being more open, creating awareness and looking to share the knowledge and experience in the group with more people. I wish everyone the very best in their training for the season ahead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Champ, Paul Evans, edzen

Saturday Cycles version 2 29 Jan 2017 12:55 #11585

• GabyD
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Dave,

My sincere apologies if you felt my post was offensive, that was absolutely not what was intended. My choice of words was in poor judgment and I withdraw them unreservedly. My concern for some time has been that groups were getting too large and that situation has now been rectified. We have grown in number and are very visible on the roads and as such safety of the groups is so important. It is fantastic to see so many members out on the saturday spin and it is great to see everyone progressing and moving up groups. Your posts have been hugely encouraging to others not to just to join group 5 but also other groups. But if groups are getting bigger, then we need more group leaders and that was really where I was coming from. Perhaps as Colm suggests we could see how best to communicate how each group is performing. If actual riding stats are the way to do this, then we should all do it but perhaps average speed is not always indicative of how the group is working as that can be affected by group size and route. Like you Dave, I have always tried to help people and I would hope that this misunderstanding on my part does not impact on your continued efforts to encourage people to join your group or other groups or to continue to provide your updates. I would hope that you accept my apology in the good faith that it is provided and I never intended to cause you personally any offence. Communication is vitally important but on this occasion I have certainly put my foot in it.
Sorry Dave.
Gaby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colm Flood, DaveB

Saturday Cycles version 2 29 Jan 2017 12:56 #11586

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 111
EDIT
Post deleted!

Gaby replied while I was posting, no benefit from my comment...

Garry

Last Edit: by grykyo.
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds