With the weather improving (fingers crossed) & as we start getting nearer to the start of the season, we are likely to see an increase in numbers on the Saturday spin, there are some pointers below which will hopefully help things run smoothly:
1) From both a safety and coordination perspective it is really important that the groups do not exceed 11, i.e. if you have a group of 12 you should be splitting in to two groups of 6.
2) From now on we will look to establish how many are in each group before we get on the road, you cooperation with regard to this would be greatly appreciated.
3) If we have more groups we will need more leaders, so can you make sure that you are familiar with the route (posted every Thursday evening) as you may be asked to lead a group.
4) If you are leading a group can you make sure that everyone is accounted for throughout the cycle, if someone punctures or gets a mechanical the group should stop with them until they are back on the road or if someone gets dropped can you make sure they know their way home.
5) Finally can each individual make sure that:
a) They arrive on time and are ready to go at 10.00, not 10.05 !
b) They have the appropriate pressure in their tyres, this will help prevent punctures.
c) Their bike is in good working order, have a look at your tyres & make sure that they are not slit or no glass is embedded in them.
d) They have cash & a mobile phone with them.
I know there was lots of disappointed people last week as we didn't get to go up Shay Elliot due to the strong winds, well the good news is that it is on the menu for this Saturday again & the even better news is that we will be going up the steep side, this week
This week is a medium (6 out of 10 week) and the routes are as follows:
Group: The early bird spin – Leader Gabby Dillon
Distance 65km to 75km (Will follow group 3 or 4 route)
Group 1 New to Tri / Recovery Group - Leader – Conor McGowan
Distance - 45km
Av - 20-22 KPH
Ashford, Wicklow Town (port road), Brittas Bay, Jack Whites, N11, Tap Pub, Deputy's Pass, Glenealy, Mill town lane, Ashford
Group 3: Leader Colm Flood
Av 25+ KPH
Ashford, Bel Air, Glenealy, Rathdrum, Ballinaclash, Greenan, Glenmalure, Shay Elliot, Laragh, Annamoe, Back Road to Roundwood Reservoir, Ashford Road, First Left, New town Mount Kennedy, Newcastle, Coynes Cross, Cullenmore Bends.
Excellent morning and a fantastic route Colm and John.
We had an incident outside Woodenbridge with a very aggressive driver 04WW6099, Silver Audi A4/A6 who sat close behind us on his horn before buzzing us and swerving in on purpose. It was very close to carnage and it was deliberate. We rang it in straight away and I called into Wicklow station on the way home. It is important that the others in the group do the same. Hopefully no one else met this idiot today.