Beast of the East triathlon race - Marshals needef 17 Sep 2017 13:32 #13085

• Conor
  • Conor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Persistence & Determination are omnipotent
  • Thank you received: 3
Dear Clubmates,

On the 24rd of September (next Sunday), the Junior section of our club will be organising the Junior Beast of the East, a triathlon for our young athlete(s) and young triathletes from other clubs. It is scheduled to take place in the Cove in Greystones and the marshal briefing is at 1pm.

This race is as important to the club as the Harbourman and we need similar levels of support.

Building on the success of last year's race we are already working away to make this year's race even better. The intent is that in 2018 we will try to qualify the race as a National Championship race.

To run a great race we need your help. We need quite a few more marshals to run a triathlon safely. It does not matter if you're an experienced marshal or not. All that matters is your enthusiasm and willingness to work with your clubmates to make the race a safe and fun experience. Some roles require pre-race effort and some are on-the-day crew jobs.

Please reply back to me if you fancy one of the roles. If you're not sure where you would be best positioned please drop me a note/call and I can talk you through it. Remember, you are not alone in the role. There is plentry of experience and support from others so it could be a good way for you to get to know more of your clubmates, learn more about the club and running a race.

Thank you in anticipation,

Conor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beast of the East triathlon race - Marshals needef 18 Sep 2017 11:13 #13086

• JustD
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Conor

I'm happy to help out next Sunday. I'll have the kids with me so around the cove area would be good!

Cheers
Justin
The following user(s) said Thank You: grykyo

Beast of the East triathlon race - Marshals needef 18 Sep 2017 18:48 #13087

• cadams
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Get It Done
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm free to help out on Sunday Conor.

Beast of the East triathlon race - Marshals needef 19 Sep 2017 13:53 #13092

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 111
That is superb guys, thanks for your help!

In supporting Conor's appeal and by way of an update...

Entry for the Junior Beast Triathlon has soared past 110 now with the final rush for entries still to come. This is a Wicklow Tri Club race, for our own Junior members they feel just as much club members as you guys, possibly more fanatical in fact. For our visitors from literally every corner of Ireland, this is a Wicklow Tri Event so there is prestige to be earned among our peers.

To show our appreciation we have arranged a BBQ exclusively for our volunteers and marshals at race HQ above "The Cove" in Greystones. The weather outlook for the weekend is good so I am suggesting with a little networking among yourselves it would be very possible to arrange a "social" training run, cycle or swim, roll in a little marshalling and a BBQ on us! The more volunteers we have the sooner we can stand down each one and this is our preference, to rotate marshals on and off each marshal point.

If any groups can coordinate for a social run, bike or swim then please volunteer to Conor and give some idea of when you plan to arrive and leave (races from 13:30 to approx 16:00, please come in time for a briefing @ 12:30) and you will be eased into a roll you agree to.

Finally, all the components of this race are falling into place thanks to a marathon effort from the race committee in WTC Juniors. We have a huge amount of support in the community from Triathlon Ireland, Garda Síochána, Coast Guard to Poseidon life saving club, Wicklow Co Council, Greystones Sailing Club, Carrig Eden, Sponsors like Ziggurat Student Living, SuperValu in Greystones and a long long list of other people. As Conor says, this is as big an undertaking for the club as any senior race with added "safeguarding" responsibilities.

We are also running a very popular "Splash & Dash" race for the younger siblings or any of your kids that are under 8 years of age which will raise funds for the very worthy Martin Family Trust . Such a cool thing to do on many fronts, kids helping kids etc B)

Please make contact with Conor if you can spare any time to help us on Sunday. Maybe make a social or family event of what should be a superb Triathlon!

Thanks, Garry

Last Edit: by grykyo.

Beast of the East triathlon race - Marshals needef 21 Sep 2017 11:22 #13095

• Caitriona
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 3
I am free Sunday and would love to help out.

Beast of the East triathlon race - Marshals needef 21 Sep 2017 11:31 #13096

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 111
Brilliant, thanks Caitriona!

Here's a link to the race briefing with timetables and maps.

CLICKY LINK

Not only do you get a club BBQ but we now have a super raffle prize, €100 voucher for The Hungry Monk for one lucky marshal :woohoo:

See you Sunday

Garry

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds