• Page:

TOPIC: Ice Mile #2

Ice Mile #2 14 Feb 2018 21:15 #13649

• cornolan
  • cornolan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 44
More Ice swimming this weekend. Ice mile number 2. Its taking place in Armagh on Sunday 12-3pm.

Why you might ask? Its pool based so fingers crossed no crap weather like wind or negotiating waves. The only worry at the moment is the water temperature is sitting at 2.8* fingers crossed it'll rise to 3.5* last weekend it was snowing up there. The recovery could be harder as of the low temperatures but on the flip side the fires, sauna and hot tub will be lit.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ice Mile #2 15 Feb 2018 12:56 #13651

• Paul Evans
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 33
Good luck Corinna ! swim that icy water like a fish !! :cheer:

Ice Mile #2 16 Feb 2018 15:23 #13666

• anthonyf
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 28
Best of luck Corinna!

Ice Mile #2 19 Feb 2018 22:26 #13692

• cornolan
  • cornolan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 44
Ice mile #2 (report)

Back up to Armagh on Sunday for the swim. On Saturday Ian had posted that the temp was around 4.5* so I was delighted I knew I could cope with this. No hanging around in Armagh I arrived an hour before as was told and then myself and Claire were swimming at 12:30. It was raining but wasn't too cold or windy so that was a bonus compared to Lough Dan. The water temp was 4.2* air was 8*.

Swim time… 64 lengths…the counters are turned for you every 2 length although I still listened out for the beeps on my watch. The first 10 lengths were the hardest I think I was just adjusting to the cold. All was grand swimming was going well I was happy until the cotton wool I had in my ears fell out of the right side. Instantly I felt pain of the cold water hitting my inner ear so a little doggy paddle and pulling my hat down as far as I could to protect my ear. It sort of worked I just tried to think of something else to distract me.

Into the last 200m I was delighted as I knew I could finish now. Last 50m and I was overjoyed to be climbing out of the cold. Some of the other swimmers hang around in the water for a moment or 2 but I'm out as quick as I can crawl up the steps without falling over. I noticed my hands well I couldn't feel them so holding onto the handrail out of the pool was hard. Mam and dad were there with my towels and the short shuffle down to the hot towels area.

Olive was great she kept checking was the towels too hot or what I needed all I could think was my hands my hands are so sore. Hands and feet in a basin and still I was in going on about my hands been cold. Finally I started to talk more and the shaking started was time to try the sauna. Sometimes it's too warm too quick which can make you feel a little sick but I was ok still wrapped a few hot towels around myself. My skin colour was coming back to normal. I was so red.

Next to come into the sauna was Claire she had finished her mile too her 4th one at that and she does it breast stroke head up mighty stuff. Actually Claire frighten the bejaysus out of me her face was so pale and around her jaw was all grey. Straight away I was putting hot towels and her. Teresa her helper had a little look of panic too she said last time she seen someone look like this she was looking into a coffin at her father. After a few minutes the colour was coming back and all would be ok.

I then went off to get dressed the walk out passed the pool I didn't stop to cheer anyone on I just wanted my warm clothes. Only thing I needed help with was could Maria put talc in my socks and I was dressed and all back to normal with a few extra layers on. Nice cup of tea and warming up by the stove fire. My fingers were ok in the end just a little sensitive to touch for the rest of the day. There all grand today.

Thanks again for the messages

Chat soon
Corinna

Ice Mile #2 19 Feb 2018 22:35 #13693

• JohnOC
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 10
Well done Corinna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornolan

Ice Mile #2 20 Feb 2018 00:34 #13694

• Noelle
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 50
You are seriously crazy!! Amazing stuff
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornolan

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds