• Page:

TOPIC: Titanic Belfast NS Standard Distance

Titanic Belfast NS Standard Distance 22 Jul 2018 19:49 #14527

• kgraham
  • kgraham's Avatar Topic Author
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 64
Belfast had been on my target for a few years and I finally made it up North to race today (well i went up yesterday to Decathlon and Sainsburys shop!). A very quick race report in the hope to get a few others along next time to keep me company.
Transition opened at 7am and race briefing was 8.15am so not too much hanging around - glad to see John C. We got to see the paratriathletes go first and then us. The River Lagan is actually tidal so salt water and despite everyone going at once it wasn't too busy. Not a huge amount of swim cover though. We were joined by sprint athletes who do a short lap and then I did get my goggles knocked right off but the guy stopped to apologise, very mannerly.
Transition was smooth and fast and onto the bike. I'd heard it was flat and it actually was, happy out. Unfortunately the bike marshals didn't speak and I saw two crashes - hope everyone was okay. The bike is on closed roads through the harbour area although a few areas you feel aware of traffic. Very little wind so we moved well and back over the river into transition. Good route but some verbal marshals please.
Then the unknown the run. I've only run one 10km this year and that was a slow training run so plan was to keep moving at an even pace. 4 laps around Belfast city centre so plenty of support and loads of historic buildings to look at if you are going at my pace. A good route pretty flat, one slight drag and well marshaled with a water station on each lap. I was slow on a slightly short course but when I looked at my splits the pace is pretty even so happy out. My AG was super fast so I didn't do very well at all but really happy with my day and glad to have finally done the course. A pretty funky medal too and food at finish.
The event is run by Community multisport so not a club and I know they struggled to get this race run this year so well done to them for that. I was home by 3pm which made the early start worthwhile.
See you all in Belfast next year :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steve_mc, michaelp, audreyp, JennyD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting back into it.....

Titanic Belfast NS Standard Distance 23 Jul 2018 07:22 #14528

• billyd
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 17
Short n' sweet race report there Karen....
Even if the marshals did speak - sure you'd hardly understand them anyway?

As a club we used to do more triathlon day trips to the north, e.g. Lough Neagh, Ireman, Mourne etc. Mind you that was before the was a glut of races on the calendar. Maybe time to pick a club race there for 2019 - before Brexit!

Titanic Belfast NS Standard Distance 23 Jul 2018 13:51 #14529

• Dan
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 70
Well done Karen, great race report

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds