Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
A section dedicated to newcomers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, we were all beginners once!

TOPIC: Saturday cycle? Those oh-so embarrasing questions!

Saturday cycle? Those oh-so embarrasing questions! 24 Jan 2017 14:57 #11560

• grykyo
  • grykyo's Avatar Topic Author
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 113
Not long before Christmas we had a productive "Lunch & Learn" session focused on basic bike preparation, the minimum you need to do if at worst you wish to avoid being stranded or at best halting the whole group on a Saturday spin. We seemed to spend a long time looking at the correct way to get wheels off and back on, being aware of brakes, where the chain was on the cassette etc, and then tyres. Lots of talk about tyres.

Removing and fitting a tyre the easy way was a revelation for a good few (even some seasoned cyclists) who attended and a couple of those at the lunch changed tyres off and back on again with no tyre levers and no stress. There is a knack to it and it is not only possible but quite easy when done right with all but the most stubborn tyres.

You'll be familiar with the Youtube channel of GCN if you have read over this thread and they have published a video showing how to do this tyre change the right way so make a cup of tea and get your head around this:

Enjoy!

Garry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Saturday cycle? Those oh-so embarrasing questions! 24 Jan 2017 21:57 #11561

• Colm Flood
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 95
Excelent article from thecyclingblog.com, which provides some great tips on cycling in a group, well worth a read....... http://thecyclingblog.com/how-to-cycle-in-a-group/

Saturday cycle? Those oh-so embarrasing questions! 25 Jan 2017 08:49 #11562

• audreyp
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 45
Great link thanks Colm. Think I need to get my brakes looked at the left one is touching the handlebar!

Saturday cycle? Those oh-so embarrasing questions! 27 Jan 2018 22:00 #13562

• Colm Flood
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 95
Folks,

I just thought I would dig up this post for anyone that is new to cycling, it contains loads of useful advice & videos.

Regards

Colm
The following user(s) said Thank You: ConorF, Dan, JennyD

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds