• Page:

TOPIC: Mullaghmore 2014

Re: Mullaghmore results 16 Jun 2014 09:06 #4272

• michaelp
  • michaelp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 182
Still no official results up! :( Apparently the chip timing file was corrupted so they're looking into it. It's a bit disappointing but otherwise the race went really well!

They grouped club-mates from the same wave together, which was nice, so I was racked next to Conor Gaffney, Paul, Mick Doherty, Andy & Alan.

I was in the first swim wave and it started ok. It was a dry start so they'd drawn a line in the sand. It was a swim out to our 10 O'Clock to the buoy, a left turn and a swim into the sailing club and up the ramp. I positioned myself too far right and ended up giving myself too much work to do, especially with us swimming against the current until we hit the buoy. Once around the buoy I was finally catching and overtaking people and had a strong swim from there. Out of the water in just under 15mins... after swimming 850m. Well done Michael! :blush:

T1 was tough as you have to run up the ramp, up a hill and then I was at the end of a rack, and my focus was primarily on not vomiting . I could see that Conor had already been and gone but everyone else was still there. I was nearly ready to go when I saw Mick Doherty fly into transition - very impressive for someone who only started swimming with the club recently! I grabbed my bike and went, cheered on by the fantastic WicklowTri support crew on the nearest wall.

Bike was strong again - for a long period of time I didn't see any other riders, and I overtook more being overtaken, so overall quite happy and kept the ave. speed up over 32km/h . I spotted Conor as I was approaching the turn-around; he saw me, dropped his head and pedalled harder. :) After the turnaround I saw I'd built up a couple of minutes on Mick, and soon after that I saw Andy Cromien. I knew he was a stronger runner than me and probably stronger on the bike too, so my goal was to do enough that neither he nor Mick could catch me. Dismount was smooth and my T2 was quick.

After Athy, my fear was having nothing left for the run, but I knew pretty early on that I had enough in the tank to get in a decent run. It was hillier than I was expecting but the Tilley hill sessions proved their worth. The views were spectacular - so much so it was hard not to get distracted by them. A few very quick runners overtook me - each time they did I was praying it wasn't Mick or Andy. I knew if Andy overtook me especially that I'd never hear the end of it. With about 2km to go a guy from Armagh Tri overtook me, we exchanged a few friendly words and then I managed to stick to him. After being on my own for a while it was nice to have a pacer. Once we were into the last km I knew I was going to be able to push it, and with 300m left I passed the amazing WicklowTri support team again. My new friend from Armagh was flagging; I caught up to him and said we're nearly there, at which point he sped off on me. I had a feeling it was a little early, so waited for 200m or so to go before breaking into a flat-out sprint. With 50m to go, I overtook him as he shouted out "I went too early!". I kept going and finished strongly (around 22mins). And, most importantly, ahead of Andy. :woohoo:

No official results yet but I think I was around the 1:17 mark.

I just want to say a huge thank you to the support crew - you guys were brilliant and it really made a difference! :cheer:

Next week: Hook or by Crook. Feeling positive. :)

A few more of the official photos:

Finally, Marie's sister took a few snaps of (most of) the group afterwards - I nicked this one from Catherine Byrne's Facebook:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Annieb, disabled_account-sp-496284474, Mick doc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Mullaghmore results 16 Jun 2014 12:33 #4283

• disabled_account-sp-496284474
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 0
Well done all. Brilliant day. Great race report.

Conor

Re: Mullaghmore results 16 Jun 2014 20:35 #4293

• andyc
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 9
careful now Michael, I'm only getting warmed up B)

Re: Mullaghmore results 16 Jun 2014 22:23 #4295

• Mick doc
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 3
"Fly into transition" - your're being kind there Michael but excellent report.

Great race, weather & support!

Know how to make a guy feel welcome :cheer:

Mick

Re: Mullaghmore results 17 Jun 2014 07:55 #4296

• michaelp
  • michaelp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 182
Some provisional results are up on Red Tag Timing , but they seem to have missed a few people's finish times; Mick, Yvonne, Anne & Paul are listed in the "Pending" section - the last split time they seem to have for them all is the 3.5km run split. Hopefully they can resolve this soon!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds