• Page:

TOPIC: junior swim coaching

junior swim coaching 05 Sep 2015 13:07 #7881

• anthonyf
  • anthonyf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 28
guys, quick question to ye all. my eldest (8 in oct) has been doing swim coaching in shoreline bray for about 18 months now but the set up there seems to be stagnating for her. anyone got recommendations for swim coaching - ideally with good attention to the swimmer as she performs best when group is smaller and she actually gets some direction from the coach. All suggestions welcome. Will check in with John on Tues for other recommendations.

Ta!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by anthonyf. Reason: typos!

junior swim coaching 06 Sep 2015 21:10 #7887

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 113
Not easy to answer Anthony!

The feedback I have heard from WTC Junior's parents is that the kids swim improvement is phenomenal. That said many are starting from a low base. The coaching is very good but with a multi-sport coaching calendar they will only have 6 coached pool/swim sessions from here to Christmas.

I am only aware of Titans as a more intense coaching programme but it is pretty intense as far as I know as I have no personal experience.

Why don't the two of you come to the first WTC Junior pool swim in Greystones on the 13th for a look and a chat?

Garry
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthonyf

Last Edit: by grykyo.

junior swim coaching 07 Sep 2015 07:21 #7888

• fiRed
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 14
Asgard swimming club operate from Coral pool in Arklow and would be worth a look. Some good coaches/sessions but probably not quite as intense as Trojans (don't think they are anyway). Think they are Tue/Thur evenings, not sure which mornings they do.

junior swim coaching 07 Sep 2015 08:14 #7889

• jedistev
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 23
Hi

You can always ask John Kealy, He is coach for Asgard swiming club. and some of our member have been coach by him.

junior swim coaching 07 Sep 2015 09:33 #7891

• SHANE
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 7
Anthony, As Gary says its a tricky one.
I have 3 kids that went through / are going through the Shoreline swim coaching in Greystones. The eldest is 12 and is out the other side and swimming with Titans (6am start ouch). Overall I find the shoreline setup to be fantastic but kids can go through phases of sometimes progressing well and sometimes not - they go through spurts. If your kid is 7 yo its possibly early to be planning an olympic slot ;)
Its always possible to get one on one coaching and others can make recommendations if you like (if you need, I can recommend a couple) but there is also a benefit at that age in being involved with a group so you need to get the balance right.
Titans is great but can be hard core for a 7 yo
Might be worth sticking with it for a while
My few cents

Shane

junior swim coaching 07 Sep 2015 15:30 #7898

• JanineT
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 8
Anthony - my daughter is 8 and started with Titans in January, 2 evening sessions a week 7-8pm. She had been doing Shoreline lessons before that and I felt the same in relation to her progress. Doing two sessions a week has made a huge difference and the coaches are great.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds