TOPIC: Open Water Swimming TT League

Open Water Swimming TT League 24 Jul 2015 21:28 #7597

• michaelp
  • michaelp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 185
Hi all,

A few weeks ago when Conor was off doing an Ironman in Austria, John Doyle held a time trial with a difference in Wicklow Harbour. On Monday night next, 27 July, we'll be having the second of these sessions, with the last being held towards the end of the summer. These are open to all abilities; if you're not able to participate in the race itself, both coaches will still be there so will be able to accommodate you.

How does it work?

He split us into groups based on ability and set those groups off together. The idea being that the fastest swimmer overall might not be the overall winner, so there was incentive for everyone.

The goal is to get a few points as possible. The first swimmer in each group gets zero points. Everyone else in each group got one point for every second that they were behind the leader. For example, if you were 10 seconds behind the leader in your group, you got 10 points. 11 seconds, 11 points. And so on. Your score is capped at 90, so if you are more than 90 seconds behind the leader, you'll still get 90 points. If you fail to finish the lap, you get 100 points.

What if I wasn't there for the last one?

No problem! You're still eligible to race. But you'll be starting on 120 points for not competing last time. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

What if I'm too slow for the group I've been given?

John moved some people around to other groups and adjusted their points according to that group, in the interest of fairness. He'll do the same for the next race if he feels that someone's been put in too fast a group.

What's the point in racing if I'm already down on points?

John will be picking out individuals who have made the biggest improvements and awarding them with negative points, which should negate any poor performances in an earlier race.

Is there a prize for all of this?

Yes - Coach Conor Fitz has kindly sponsored a prize for the overall winner.

I really don't understand the scoring system!

Don't worry, just come along, swim, it'll be fun! :)

How did the scores pan out last time?

John has given me the scores, so if you want to know your score and how you rank, let me know. (I'm not sticking them up as people might not want that information to be public). The current leaders on zero points (ie the winners of each group) are:
  • Alex
  • Garry
  • Susan
  • Shane
  • Brian T

Hope to see you all there!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Open Water Swimming TT League 28 Jul 2015 11:33 #7609

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
So, after Round 2 of the TT League last night, we have a lot of movement in the league, though less so at the top. Alex maintained his 0 points with a resounding victory in his group, but as he won't be here for the last race he's certain to finish on 120 points. My calls for Garry to be moved up into our group fell on deaf ears and he continued his fine swimming form to also finish first in his group and maintain his 0 points. Will he be allowed to stay there for the last race? Only time (or John Doyle) can tell...

Here's the top of the table, if you'd like individual results, let me know.
1Alex0 points
-Garry0 points
2Tony O'c5 points
3Mark D11 points
The following user(s) said Thank You: shane_w

Open Water Swimming TT League 28 Jul 2015 12:58 #7610

• Heidijo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 42
yes i second the motion to garry out and up!! yes! As i was in his group, and finished probably last in that group, my points are now even worse than before as the gap is soooo great between 1st place and the rest. (thats flattery Gazza too by the way-you're swimming out of your skin these days)
The following user(s) said Thank You: grykyo

Open Water Swimming TT League 28 Jul 2015 23:47 #7612

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 111
Ah, thanks for the kind words Heidi. Now I'm not privvy to the groups John seeded us into but last night I swam in group 2. I was defo NOT in group 2 for the first round so I reckon I've already gone up and raised the game too. I just swam as hard as I could yesterday and somehow hung on for a 0 points. As a recently promoted to lane 4 swimmer on Thursday nights I'd be more upset than flattered if I was seeded with the lane 1 crew everything considered. Being a good sport I'll leave it to JD though :whistle:

G

Last Edit: by grykyo.

Open Water Swimming TT League 29 Jul 2015 07:13 #7613

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Garry, you definitely WERE in group 2 in the first round! :lol:

I'm happy to publish the full listing of points if people would prefer? We've had a few people asking us to do this. Maybe it would be easier to let me know if anyone has any objections (privately or on the forum) and if I hear nothing back then I'll go ahead and publish them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grykyo, shane_w

Open Water Swimming TT League 29 Jul 2015 08:31 #7615

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 111

michaelp wrote: I really don't understand the scoring system!

Don't worry, just come along, swim, it'll be fun! :)

Did I imagine myself lining up with Colm for my start the first week? I'm pretty sure I didn't swim in group 2 so it looks like it's just the times that are grouped ans not the people?

In any case I'm happy to roll with whatever goes and like the bike TT's I think these are great for gauging effort and condition. I love them!

G

Last Edit: by grykyo.
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds