Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I wish I could browse my training using Excel!

I wish I could browse my training using Excel! 28 Apr 2017 11:02 #12118

• grykyo
  • grykyo's Avatar Topic Author
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 111
I may be the exception here but I use Strava to keep an eye on those few occasions I get to train. I have a Garmin on my bike but manually enter swims and sometimes remember to record runs with my phone. It is a very handy way to record activity but not so easy to browse times, dates, distances etc or to drill down into the numbers to be more scientific about your training.

Cue IFTTT and Google Docs. Anybody with a Google account will have a panel of buttons under their login/logout icon that will route you directly to your own Google Docs cloud storage. Whether you use cloud storage or not, perhaps it causes a ringing noise in your tinfoil hat but it is there, free and convenient for this. IFTTT is a web service, an acronym for “If This Then That” which allows you to cook up recipes, correctly called applets, which are small simple utility applications you create to carry out simple functions.

How about automatically scraping your Strava activities from your Strava account and saving them on a spreadsheet document in Google Docs every time you upload an activity? There is an applet for just that and it works very well.

I have used this for the last year and it is very handy. It creates a folder on your Google Drive cloud account and then creates a spreadsheet for each activity type, swim, bike, run etc. Each new activity appears at the bottom of the spreadsheet which you can use all the usual Excel functions to do with as you will. Result!

If you are interested then visit ifttt.com and register an account. Search for applets with the key word “Strava” and take your pick.

You can follow a wizard that will tie your Strava account to your Google Docs account with your permission and you're done!

And it works...

Hope that helps!

Garry
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds