• Page:

TOPIC: 3DTri Winter Aquathon Series

3DTri Winter Aquathon Series 12 Mar 2014 09:51 #3368

• michaelp
  • michaelp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 183
Is anyone else thinking of doing any of the 3DTri Aquathon Series races?

I've just signed up for the one on Saturday March 29th and there's another on April 12th (that I don't think I can make). They're €20 each.

I'm hoping it'll be good prep for the Fingal Tri as it's also in the National Aquatic Centre so it should get me used to the 50m pool and hopefully will be the same run route.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by michaelp-sp-1904432961.

Re: 3DTri Winter Aquathon Series 13 Mar 2014 15:38 #3377

• Heidijo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 41
Myself and Lily are doing the 3D Tri in May but its not available yet to register on the TI site.
Will be good to hear your feedback on it! Esp the swim.

Re: 3DTri Winter Aquathon Series 31 Mar 2014 08:55 #3446

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The first of these races was on Saturday. I decided to do it for the experience in spite of the Fingal tri being cancelled. This made the news that the race would take place in the 25m diving pool and not the full 50m pool good to hear as it helped relax me a bit.

I turned up on the day and quickly found Mick Grogan, who I knew was also doing the race. Billy Diggin turned up too as his son was racing. We soon discovered there was a lot of the elite TI youth squad racing, so I prepared myself for the humiliation of being destroyed by kids. And Mick, of course, but swimming with him on Thursdays had already prepared me for that.

We were split into 3 waves with the slowest swimmers in the first wave. It was great to see so many people in the first wave who were clearly quite new to swimming; taking breaks at the end of lanes, several of them swimming together for pace. The last swimmer was out of the water after 27 minutes, so this race really does cater for all levels. Wave 2 was significantly faster and nearly had a catastrophe before it started as someone decided the warm-up (2 whole lengths to warm up!!) wasn't quite going quick enough for him, did a mid-lane overtake and collided with another swimmer.

I decided to race in my tri-suit as good preparation for the summer but when discovered that the zip had come off the runner. Luckily I was able to get it back on just in time for wave 3 to start (I did have jammers/shorts/t-shirt as a back-up but I really wanted to try the tri-suit). I reckon I was one of the slower swimmers in wave 3, and we came up with a very haphazard swim order based on what we thought we'd do the swim in and agreed not to overtake for the first 100m. This proved to be utterly useless. People didn't seem to understand the concept of us all being on each other's toes and were demanding to overtake (repeated tapping on my feet or else just barging through anyway) only to swim slower than me. This was incredibly frustrating/distracting and made me lose my count. As a result, I followed someone out for what I thought was our last 2 lengths only to look down at my Garmin afterwards and discover I'd swam an extra 50m and was (obviously) one of the last out of the pool. Great start Michael! :S

Having lost so much time already I decided to forgo my ankle-socks that I'd left rolled-up in transition. At least with the tri-suit my transition was very quick. I then realised my watch was still saying swim - I clearly hadn't pressed the Lap button hard enough. Either way - I was out the door and on the run.

I soon realised that my race belt (being worn for the first time that day) was far too loose and was flying around the place. I tried my best to tighten it without slowing down too much, but this was another distraction. My only focus now was to actually catch someone. Anyone. The other guy in my lane was tall and a good runner and had sped off, so at this stage I was pretty sure I was the last male from my wave. After about 1km I was way behind the other guy but I saw him overtake a guy in a 3DTri tri-suit - passing him out would be my goal for this race.

The run route was weird - we never actually left the NAC campus, traversing various roads around it, turning, coming back. The road surface was broken up and very mossy & wet - if I were doing it again I think I'd bring trail runners for it. At about 3km I was within touching distance of my new nemesis from 3DTri and I overtook him shortly afterwards. I recognised him as one of the guys from my lane so that gave me extra satisfaction. I had plenty of energy left to up the pace for the last 1km and sprinted the last 200m flat-out.

My official time was 35:54, which in reflection wasn't too bad considering my extra 50m. I was also in the top 30 overall, which considering how many very, very quick youths were there made me feel less bad. The winner did his swim in 9:05 and his run in just over 16 minutes. Someone in the dressing room said "Jesus, you'll be on the plane to Rio!" to which he replied "No, sure I'm only 15." :ohmy:

Special mention to Mick Grogan who helped me out a lot on the day and beat his PB in the swim - I think it was 10:25 (correct me if I'm wrong) and finished 17th overall in 32:18.

Lessons Learnt
  • If I'm doing another pool swim and I've lost my count, the 0.5 seconds it takes to check my watch to see what distance I've done is worth it.
  • Make sure my race belt is tight.
  • Wear the socks. Just do it. I run faster with them on and my feet won't be cut to shreds afterwards.
  • If I'm going to be relying on my Garmin for times, make sure I remember to actually press the right buttons at the right times!
  • Don't let myself get bullied in the swim. At least in open water if someone thinks they can go faster than me they can swim around me or get a kick to the face.
  • Don't let set-backs spoil the race. Knowing I could've swam and run faster is worse than the fact that I swam an extra 50m.

Last Edit: by michaelp-sp-1904432961.

Re: 3DTri Winter Aquathon Series 31 Mar 2014 12:03 #3450

• ConorF
  • Away
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 38
Well done Michael (and Mick)
Sounds like one of those days that you feel everything is going wrong.

You did very well in the end, and a top 30 :cheer:
You should register for the second race in April, if you haven't already.
Bury the demons :evil:

Well done

Lift your legs, they'll fall themselves

Re: 3DTri Winter Aquathon Series 31 Mar 2014 12:31 #3451

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

ConorF wrote: You should register for the second race in April, if you haven't already.

I can't do the next one (April 12th) unfortunately - I'm away that day.

They are doing an Aquathon on May 18th instead of the Tri. I was asked at the end if I'd be more likely to do it if it was a 1500m swim, so maybe they'll do that. I don't think I'll do it, especially with it being 2 weeks before Athy Olympic.

Re: 3DTri Winter Aquathon Series 31 Mar 2014 12:50 #3452

• ConorF
  • Away
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 38
It wouldn't be a problem doing a race 2 weeks before Athy.
You could use it as a training day, to sharpen up.

Just use it for practice :whistle:

Lift your legs, they'll fall themselves
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds