Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WAR Glendalough

Re: WAR Glendalough 27 Apr 2014 09:21 #3660

• RonanS
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 4
I was only thinking how lucky Antonia was too! I had imagined a lovely relaxing kayak across Lough Dan with dolphins swimming along side and giving us a cheeky push to help us on our way as the sun gently launched a thousand freckles on my bear back..... It couldn't have been any different. After the horror of limping through the run (my leg was heavily strapped up due a slightly torn calf - I wouldn't be the first fool ever to do a race against his physio's / wife's advice!) the bike was fine. It's amazing how fast you feel when you're just flying past the back markers from the earlier wave. But the wind and rain really kicked up on the kayak. Luckily the skipper of my boat was a former rower from Romania (seriously). The problem was that wanted to chat the whole way around and I could hardly catch my breath! When we turned into the waves it just got a little bit harder but we made it eventually.
My timing chip came off in the kayak. They were using those stupid chips attached to the race numbers which are useless for these kind of races where you're taking off layers, putting them back on etc. I noticed it was gone as I left the kayak transition so I when I finished I went straight to the guys doing the timing. They had already spotted that my time didn't show when I crossed the line so showed them my number, and they said they had manually entered my time. But of course when they posted the results last night I wasn't on it! So you'll have to take my word for now that my time of 2:48:18 should have made me 23rd. Not bad for a man with only one functioning leg!
Amazing result from Ray, well done. And well done Dave too, that was a serious challenge yesterday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: WAR Glendalough 27 Apr 2014 11:45 #3661

• david g
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 23
Delighted you got through it Ronan. I lost my chip too somewhere near Lough Dan but never spotted it till last night . Was surprised I appeared in the results and with the correct time. I emailed them to ask how they got my time and they said they manually took them for anyone who finished when no chip bleeped.

So drop them a line and they should be able to amend the results. They said at least 30 chips were lost "due to the extreme weather". But you are right. They were crap quality. Organisers cutting corners again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds