• Page:

TOPIC: Dunmore East this Sat

Re: Dunmore East this Sat 20 Jun 2014 08:43 #4340

• steve_mc
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 13
i'm in too. packing the sunscreen B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Dunmore East this Sat 20 Jun 2014 08:55 #4341

• brianmac
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm heading down too. looks like we'll have a cracking day for it.

Re: Dunmore East this Sat 21 Jun 2014 06:56 #4355

• GabyD
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 7
Have a great race everyone, best of luck.
Gaby

Re: Dunmore East this Sat 21 Jun 2014 19:16 #4359

• michaelp
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 182
A huge congratulations to Dave Gillespie who finished third in his age group today! Great work Dave!! :cheer:
Attachments:

Last Edit: by michaelp-sp-1904432961.

Re: Dunmore East this Sat 22 Jun 2014 19:42 #4376

• david g
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 23
Thanks Michael. Well done to all today. Tough but enjoyable. Susan Davies took 3rd in her age group(I have your prize Susan). Stephen Diggan also took 3rd in the juniors.

Great support as ever. Bowes family. Bernie and Gillian and any Others I heard but didnt see !

Re: Dunmore East this Sat 23 Jun 2014 09:15 #4384

• michaelp
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 182
My preparation for this race didn't go too well; I spent all of Friday absolutely smothered with hay-fever. Thankfully on Saturday morning it was much clearer.

Walking down the ramp to the swim my nerves weren't getting the best of me for once. Gill C was sitting on the wall on the way down so the added support was fantastic. I managed to get some room to myself at the end of the beach, the closest point to the first buoy. I couldn't believe my luck. I started strongly, close enough to draft off others but enough room to myself to relax. My line was good and I got around the first buoy without much difficulty and into a good line for the second buoy. I took the last buoy a bit wide but overall I was quite happy with my swim - I was out of the water in 13:22 , facing the giant hill up to transition.

T1 was pretty smooth and I was out on the bike. The down-side to having a good swim is that there tends to be less people who I can out-cycle. I managed to overtake a few people but I spent a lot of the cycle out on my own. I didn't feel as strong as I've felt in other races. I did get overtaken by a peloton of about 10 cyclists at one point and started wondering where the marshals were as they stuck together for the next few km. I finished the bike strongly up the hill back to transition, keeping the bike under 40 mins .

All I'd heard about the run was that it was very hilly and very challenging - people were not exaggerating. But I set off strongly and felt more and more comfortable as the run went along. I was happy with my pace but it felt slow, mostly because I was being overtaken quite a lot. But I don't think I could have pushed it much more. I only managed to overtake 1 person with about 2km to go - poor Marie Boland who looked like she went over her ankle (and still hobbled to the finish - gutsy). But overall I was happy with it - just under 35 mins for my first time on that run route.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the result: 1:31:58

Next up: Two Provences in Lanesboro in July, so I've a few weeks off (though I'm doing a 5-Mile race in the Phoenix Park next Saturday).

Well done to everyone who raced - some fantastic results! And thanks again to the fantastic support crew! :)

Attachments:

Last Edit: by michaelp-sp-1904432961.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds