Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: National Series 2016

National Series 2016 25 Nov 2015 10:50 #8378

• Darren_S
  • Darren_S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 31
Wicklow Tri Club has had a long prided itself in doing very well in the National Series rankings. However, in 2015 the lads had probably their worst season ever coming in in 24th position and with some of our scorers having only completed 3 events.

I know the ladies are getting themselves well organised for 2016 and i think it would be great if the lads could get their act together and gather a squad who will actively commit to completing at least 4 NS races.

There are a number of national series races which are hugely popular with the club, Caroline Kearney, The Lost Sheep and Clogherhead immediately spring to mind and there are many others. It would be fantastic if we could actively target some of these races as a team and have a sea of blue there.

Added to that, i think it would be great if we could have some form of Male team captain (as I said earlier - the ladies are well organised already) and a commitment from as many members as possible to partake

So, is there anybody who would like to volunteer as male team captain? Should nobody volunteer publicly, i will try recruit someone personally

And finally, Who going to do 4 National Series events next season?
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaelp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

National Series 2016 25 Nov 2015 11:38 #8379

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 183
I will definitely be targeting at least 4 NS races next year; I hope to do The Lost Sheep for the first time next year but as it's my first time doing it I don't want to rely on it being one of my top 4 races.

For those of you who don't know how the National Series works: for each race, you get assigned points based on how well you do. I could try to explain the scoring system but I wouldn't want your brain to melt. To qualify you need to do at least 1 sprint distance and at least 1 olympic distance. At the end of the year TI will take your top sprint, olympic and your next 2 best results, add your points, and that's your total for the year. You are ranked nationally for your age-group and overall. You can see last year's results here .

In terms of the club rankings, they will rank us based on the top 6 females (our ladies did very well last year finishing 6th nationally), top males (we didn't do so well as Darren pointed out) and as mixed teams (top 3 ladies, top 3 males - we finished 13th last year, mostly thanks to the ladies).

It doesn't take any extra work to compete in these events, it just means targeting these specific races. The more people we have at these races the better in my opinion; you have more support on the day and it might help the club's rankings. A list of National Series races for next year is already up on the TI website so start thinking about next year!

Personally, I'm looking at the following:
  • Hell of the West, Kilkee (June 25th, overnight travel required, Standard Distance, also National Standard Distance Championships)
  • Two Provinces, Lanesboro (July 16th, doable in a day-trip, Sprint Distance, also National Sprint Distance Championships)
  • Caroline Kearney Memorial Triathlon, Mullingar (August 13th, doable in a day-trip, Standard Distance)
  • Tri the Hook, Hook Head (August 20th, doable in a day-trip, Sprint Distance)
  • The Lost Sheep (September 3rd, overnight travel required, Middle Distance, also Middle Distance Championships)

...and if I'm not too wrecked after all of that, I might do Clogherhead again (September 17th, doable as a day-trip, Sprint Distance).

National Series 2016 25 Nov 2015 12:43 #8380

• Veronica
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 16
Hmm just had a look at races myself there. Not sure what I can commit to right now I will have to see nearer the time. Gutted to realise that I'm going to miss the one in Wicklow next year :( P.s I'm assuming this post isn't just for the guys!

National Series 2016 25 Nov 2015 13:19 #8381

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 183

Veronica wrote: P.s I'm assuming this post isn't just for the guys!

Not at all! Though, as Darren said, we do need to find a men's club captain to co-ordinate us all! :)

National Series 2016 25 Nov 2015 13:51 #8382

• Buzbyjnr
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 83
does Gravity Enduro count? :blush:

Growing old is Mandatory.... Growing Up is optional.....

National Series 2016 25 Nov 2015 14:16 #8383

• Darren_S
  • Darren_S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi Veronica

the thread is not aimed specifically at the guys but is looking to get the conversation started to focus minds on the national series with a view to people putting the effort in throughout the winter and seeing the results next summer.

In recent years Cat 1 was introduced which took all the really good athletes out of the national series. WTC has lots of really strong athletes below the Cat 1 level but with a real chance to be competitive at national series level. If we can get our act together as a group, hopefully we can score well for the club. The ladies obviously did very well last summer and appear to be extremely focused for next year too. I think the lads need to do the same and if there happens to be a little bit of team gender rivalry along the way, its all for the benefit of the club :) the are 3 team categories. Male, female and mixed. We can be competitive in all 3

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds