Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Harbourman Triathlon Sunday 10th July

Harbourman Triathlon Sunday 10th July 21 Dec 2015 09:00 #8566

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 111
Not trying to be smart or divisive here but did it occur to anybody that we could call this the "Beast of the East" if it's a WTC event and use our familiar triangles logo?

The beast brand is so well known and respected in Irish Triathlon and is intrinsically linked with Wicklow Tri Club and "the East Coast olympic race", I guess like Limerick Tri and the "Hell of the West". We had sponsors for the Beast in the past so shouldn't be an issue this time?

It would be a terrible shame to just walk away from everything the club ever did to make the Beast what it is in Irish Tri circles.

Garry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Harbourman Triathlon Sunday 10th July 21 Dec 2015 09:23 #8567

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 183
Hi Garry,

The Beast had a good name and reputation, but a reputation for being an extremely difficult race which, along with its logistical issues, resulted in low sign-up rates.

This race is an entirely new race; new location, new route, a sea swim instead of a lake swim, 2 different race distances and a much quicker race. It was felt it would be misleading to call it "The Beast"; those who have fond attachments to the old race might be disappointed to find it's a lot easier and those new to the race might be put off by the name at the same time as it sounds awfully daunting. This new race should (and will) be open to newcomers to the Olympic distance, and the sprint distance should be very doable, especially as it will be run with the view of people targeting it as a first triathlon.

I do understand where you're coming from, and I do appreciate that it many ways it is a shame to not use the BotE brand, but since this race is not the BotE, I also agree that naming it as such is not the right move.

Harbourman Triathlon Sunday 10th July 08 Feb 2016 16:16 #9025

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 183
Hi all,

We are nearly ready to go with a new website for the Harbourman triathlon and the first round of registration will be going live on the Triathlon Ireland website this Wednesday 8 February at 8am. (If you have some time to look through the website and find anything that's drastically missing - including providing suggestions for the FAQs - please feel free to email me!)

In line with other club races we have run in the past, unfortunately we will require as many members as humanly possible to help marshal on the day. Having said that, we hope to run a lottery to allow a number of club athletes to do the race on the condition that those lucky enough to be drawn are able to provide 2 extra marshals to replace them; more details will be announced on this soon.

So please do not sign up for the race on TI's website and please help us make this race every bit as enjoyable and safe as it can be by helping marshal on the day. The race committee will be in contact closer to the time regarding giving out specific roles.

Many thanks,

-Michael

Last Edit: by michaelp.

Harbourman Triathlon Sunday 10th July 08 Feb 2016 18:44 #9027

• anthonyf
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 23
Looks good. As Karen and Paul know, happy to pitch in with the run or any other aspect I can. A.

Harbourman Triathlon Sunday 10th July 12 Feb 2016 06:23 #9045

• billyd
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 8
I agree 150% with Garry.

As a club we need to stand on the shoulders of the organisation, branding, committee efforts and club race organisation that has gone before us.
We need to keep improving and make the club and the events better and better. We may have dropped a bit of brand equity into the harbour.... and it is perhaps a little disingenuous to the hard work of those that have gone before - unfortunately.

By not using the famous image rich BofE in favour of an unknown Harbourman - it will be interesting to see the kind of athlete field that we get. What's in a name - quite a lot if history or marketing research is anything to go by. It takes time to build a brand, and triathletes are attracted to strong names, Beast, Hell, King, Ironman - not sure that Harbour is one of those?

Opinionated content above....

The horse may well have bolted at this stage - so apologies for the late submission - have been out of the country so was not in the loop....

B.

Last Edit: by billyd. Reason: timing of submission
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds