TOPIC: 2016 Race Results

2016 Race Results 02 Aug 2016 17:38 #10486

• Ciaraoneill
  • Ciaraoneill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 189
Ironman Maastricht
Well done to the 2 Wicklow Tri members who took on the challenge of Ironman Maastricht on Sunday. Paul crossed the line in a superb time of 11:22, to earn himself another well-deserved IM medal, but we were gutted to hear that Dom's race didn't go to plan. After a super swim time of 1:02, a bike crash just after the 110km mark meant that Dom unfortunately had to call it a day. Incredibly cruel outcome after months of hard training, but the most important thing is that he's ok and wasn't left with any serious injuries. Don't think there's any doubt that everyone in the club thinks the lads are both total legends though :)

Loughrea Triathlon (National Series)
We had 5 members racing over in the National Series sprint triathlon in Loughrea on Sunday, so congratulations to Trevor Conroy, Lisa Howley, Rose Leith, Martina Colville and Gerard McHugh. We'd a few familiar faces on the podium again too!! Trevor Conroy finished 6th overall with a great time of 1:04:19, winning his age group. Lisa Howley made it into the top 10 for the ladies, also winning her age category with a time of 1:15:07. While Rose Leith also claimed a well-deserved 2nd place prize in her age group. I think it was Gerard's first full triathlon, so a huge congratulations to him for that. Hope you’ve been bitten by the bug now Gerard!!

Belfast Titantic Triathlon (National Series)
It was just myself and Brian Doyle up at the National Series olympic distance race in Belfast on Sunday. Brian was representing Dublin Fire Brigade and did them proud by finishing 2nd in his age group. It was the first time I'd done this race and must say I was really impressed with it. Completely flat course, closed roads, looped run around the city streets, tons of marshals, great atmosphere! Would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in doing it next year

King of Greystones
Last but not least, we had the ever popular King of Greystones triathlon on Monday. I think we nearly had more members racing than not racing in this one, so a big congrats to each and everyone one of you. In terms of the WTC winners, we had:
Alex Gray - 01:04:18 - 1st male and reclaiming his crown again for 2016
Barry Cronin - 01:06:33 - 2nd male
Michael Pearce - 01:08:13 - 3rd male
Lisa Howley - 01:13:59 - 1st female..... clearly Loughrea just acted as a warm-up for Lisa on Sunday :ohmy:

While in the Try-a-Tri race, we had Julie Byrne as the 3rd female home. What makes Julie's result even more impressive is that she only learned to swim a few months ago!!

Full results for the King of Greystones are available on chipit.ie

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LisaH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Ciaraoneill.

2016 Race Results 09 Aug 2016 12:55 #10503

• Ciaraoneill
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hazelwood Standard Triathlon (National Series)
Well done to our 2 entrants in Saturday's National Series olympic distance race in Sligo. Noelie Kavanagh flew round the course in a great time of 02:06:06, claiming 1st place overall, while Karen also played a blinder with a time of 2:44:56, finishing 6th in the female race and 2nd in her age group. Super racing guys!

National Open Water Swimming Championships
Congratulations to Brian Harris and Corinna Nolan who competed in the Open Water Swimming Championships in Athlone. Both took part in the 5km non-wetsuit race, with Brian finishing in 2nd and Corinna claiming a 3rd place prize.

Liffey Swim
We also had a few members taking part in the annual Liffey Swim open water race, so congrats to Coach Lisa Howley, Viv Conlon, Garry Keogh and Anne McGrane, who all braved the capital city's river for that one.

Rock N Roll Half-Marathon
Finally, well done to all the members who were racing in the Rock N Rock Half-Marathon in Dublin on Sunday. I believe Danny Brennan, Veronica Tindal and Heidi Sheehy all earned themselves some finisher medals at that one, so a big congratulations to all of you (and to anyone else who was racing that I haven't heard about!!)

Next Up …..
There’s a big weekend of racing action ahead for the club, with over 30 members signed up for the Caroline Kearney Triathlon on Saturday and at least 15 other members racing in the Dublin Ironman 70.3 race on Sunday. The very best of luck to everyone taking part, especially to those who are stepping up to a longer race distance for the first time. To those who aren’t racing, throw on some Wicklow Tri gear and get out there to cheer on your club mates!!! :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FionaMcB

2016 Race Results 16 Aug 2016 16:30 #10529

• Ciaraoneill
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Caroline Kearney Memorial Triathlon
We had around 25 WTC members taking part in the Caroline Kearney Memorial triathlon in Mullingar on Saturday, with loads of age group prizes picked up.

Congrats to Noelie & Lisa who were the fastest Wicklow man & woman on the day. Noelie finished in 5th place overall with a time of 02:06:57, while Lisa chicked over half the lads in the field with a cracking time of 02:23:36, finishing as 4th female overall!! Barry, John, Debs, Rose, Martina and Anne all put in great performances to finish within the top 3 of their age categories as well.

Special mentions to those who completed their first Olympic distance triathlons: David Gray, Damien Coyle and …… Anne Hudson!!!!! We’d all assumed that Anne had several Olympic distance races under her belt, but this was actually her first one and she sailed round the course without a bother. Love the photo of her and John below. Kona for 2017, Anne?

The full list of finishers was:
  • Noelie Kavanagh – 1st in AG & 5th male overall
  • Trevor Conroy
  • Barry Cronin – 3rd in AG
  • Michael Pearce
  • Darren Stanley
  • Lisa Howley – 1st in AG & 4th female overall
  • Davey Owens
  • Darragh Phelan
  • John Darcy – 1st in AG
  • Deborah Meghen – 3rd in AG
  • Andrew Cromien
  • David Gillespie
  • Corrie Adams
  • Rose Leith – 1st in AG
  • Ronan Stanley
  • Martina Colville – 3rd in AG
  • David Gray
  • Ciara O'Neill
  • Bill Wildes
  • Orla McAndrew
  • Marie Burke
  • Viv Conlon
  • Pauline Dallaghan
  • Anne Hudson – 1st in AG
  • Damien Coyle
As this was our nominated club race for 2016, we’ll be awarding prizes for fastest race time (male & female), fastest transition time (male & female) and closest race time to prediction time (male & female) at the club’s awards’ night on November 19th.

Dublin Ironman 70.3
We’d another big group of members racing closer to home on Sunday, at the Ironman 70.3 triathlon in Dublin. Congrats to all the legends listed below, who took on the 1.9km swim, 90km bike & 21km run. Hopefully I haven’t missed anyone?
  • Justin Dutton
  • Anthony Byrne
  • Billy Diggin
  • Danny Brennan
  • Peter Wedderburn
  • Shane O'Neill
  • Damian McKeever
  • Brian Thornton
  • John Bowes
  • Lisa Bishop
  • Karen Byrne
  • Conor MacGowan
  • Ronan Cusack
  • Mick Nolan
  • Mark Power
  • Corinna Nolan
  • Rob Clarke
Justin was the first Wicklow man home in 4:51 and is looking strong for his first full ironman in Barcelona in a few weeks, while Lisa Bishop finished in 5:57, which is even more impressive considering she was unable to train for several months this year after she broke her collar bone. I believe it was the first half-ironman race for Brian, Karen, Mick and Rob. Unfortunately an injury prevented Rob from being able to finish his run, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he picks up a finisher’s medal at another race soon. Also, not only was it Karen’s first half-ironman, but it was her first ever triathlon too. Congrats to all of you and enjoy a well-deserved rest now :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FionaMcB, LisaH, JustD

2016 Race Results 19 Aug 2016 15:52 #10546

• kgraham
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 50
Good luck to everyone braving the elements in Wexford tomorrow. Hopefully the rain stays away.

The club National Series points are up and Wicklow are 4th both in men and mixed and 5th in women's which is a strong club performance by all. The next few range especially count so good luck to everyone in the next few weeks.

Enjoy!!!

Getting back into it.....

2016 Race Results 23 Aug 2016 13:10 #10566

• Ciaraoneill
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hardman Long-Distance Triathlon – Killarney, Co. Kerry
Congratulations to Wicklow's newest Ironman, Stephen McCarthy, who did an incredible job to finish the Hardman long-distance triathlon in Kerry, on one of the wettest & windiest days this year. If ever a medal was well-deserved!!! By the looks of it, around a third of the field were DNFs in that one, so I think I can safely say we all have the utmost respect for Stephen for getting around that course :ohmy:

Tri the Hook - Wexford (National Series)
The National Series sprint triathlon at Hook Head in Wexford, also had to deal with very wet & windy weather on Saturday. It was touch & go whether the swim would go ahead at all and based on the race reports, it sounded like it all ended up being a bit chaotic, with each wave swimming a difference distance.
Fastest Wicklow male and female on the day were Alex Gray & Gaby Dillon. Alex finished 2nd overall, with a time of 1:10:49 while Gaby was the 11th fastest woman, with a time of 1:27:47. We also had Trevor, Michael, John, Debs, Orla, Lastley and Anne placing within their age categories, so well done to all of you and to all the other members who did a great job in such tough conditions.
  • Alex Gray - 2nd overall
  • Trevor Conroy - 3rd in AG
  • Michael Pearce - 3rd in AG
  • John Bowes
  • Gabrielle Dillon - 11th female and 2nd in AG
  • John Darcy - AG winner
  • David Gillespie
  • Deborah Meghen - 2nd in AG
  • David Gray
  • Orla McAndrew - 3rd in AG
  • Karen Cowan
  • Dan Mc Carthy
  • Gillian Carthy
  • Fiona Kelly
  • Lastley Gray - AG winner
  • Anne Hudson - AG winner
  • Audrey Pender

Carlingford Olympic Triathlon

Brendan Buck was the sole Wicklow entrant at the Carlingford olympic distance triathlon on Sunday and did the club proud by finishing as 3rd male with a very speedy time of 02:06:40. Congrats on yet another podium place Brendan :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: steve_mc, michaelp

2016 Race Results 23 Aug 2016 15:19 #10567

• FionaKelly
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 11
Well done to the Wicklow Tri guys down in Wexford, it was certainly a tough race!

I have prizes from the day for Michael, Gabby and Debs and they are in my car waiting for you :)

Thanks,
Fiona

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds