Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Saturday Cycles version 2

Saturday Cycles version 2 08 Jan 2017 22:30 #11435

• Colm Flood
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 79
Just a quick update form Group 3 ( By the way for those of you who are confused by the Numbering Group 3 & 4 do the same route, the only difference is that Group 4 head out at 9.00am)

We did 75km, with an average speed of 26.3 kmph and we ascended 850m. We had eight in the group, well done to Trevor who stepped up to Group 3 for the first time. As per the tradition set by my predecessor Jim Corbett, we did have to sacrifice one member to maintain average speed :)

Word on the street is that Owen is back from paternity leave next week, if that's turns out to the case, I expect the routes to be much much flatter B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: drdan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Saturday Cycles version 2 12 Jan 2017 21:54 #11477

• OwenMo
  • OwenMo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 17
Hello all,
I hope you all got a good wake up call last week! and thanks for all the feedback.:cheer:
The good news is that the weather may have saved you this week and may be chilly on Saturday morning but should warm up by lunchtime so flatter and more boring it is ...(tried to keep it flat and coastal and main roads for the main)
I'm delighted that the groups are giving some feedback on the forum .. do think it's very encouraging and adds to the whole experience so keep it up.
Below are the routes for Saturday 14th January 2017

Group 1 New to Tri 3 hr 63k Rob Clarke
Group spin 3 hours steady 70-80% HR easy gears 80-90rpm. 3 x 3 mins during spin heavy gear on drags in saddle low cadence.
Ashford- Rathnew- Top of Marlton - Beehive - old n11- Templeraney roundabout - turnabout -
The Tap - Deputy's pass - Glenealy - Rathnew - killoughter - coynes cross - Ashford.
www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1411763227

Group 2 3.5 hrs 75k John D
Group spin 3 ½ hours steady at 70-80% HR 80-90 rpm. 4 x 3 mins during spin heavy gear on drags in saddle low cadence 50-60rpm with HR no higher than 85%. 1 x10 mins on flat near end of spin High tempo work at 80-85% hr 90-100 rpm ie group roll through up and over every 5 mins at most. Drink and eat plenty.
Ashford - Coynes Cross - N11 - Newtown - Newcastle -
Rathnew- Top of Marlton - Beehive - Templeraney roundabout -
The Tap - Deputy's pass - Glenealy - Rathnew - Hunters - Ashford.
www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1411738843

Group 3/4 9am/10am 83k 3.5hrs Gaby / Colm
Ashford - Rathnew - top of Marlton - Beehive - old N11 - Arklow - Inch - Turnabout - Arklow -
The Tap - Deputies pass - glenealy - Burke Oil- Rathnew - Hunters - Ashford.
www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1411604038

Group 5 91k 800m group 5
Ashford - rathnew - Wicklow - Coast Road - Arklow - Love lane - Shelton - Avoca
- Woodenbridge - Aughrim - Ballinaclash - rathdrum - turn right at bridge -
kilmacurragh - deputy's pass - Glenealy - BURKE OIL - Miltown Lane - Ashford
www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/589611160

Weather: Frost and icy patches clearing early. A few bright spells, but rather cloudy in the main, with some scattered patches of rain and drizzle. These mainly over Ulster and north Connacht. Top afternoon temperatures 6 to 9 C

Don't think I make a full cycle this week but might make coffee ...
enjoy,
OwenMo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzbyjnr

Saturday Cycles version 2 12 Jan 2017 21:57 #11478

• OwenMo
  • OwenMo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 17
Looks like a day for the sprinters ... reports welcome Saturday evening!

Saturday Cycles version 2 14 Jan 2017 19:49 #11495

• DaveB
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Thank you received: 19
Group 5 stats for today:

14 out today, biggest group ever!
83k (our route guru was a bit off with the 91k advertised distance!)
830m of climbing
27k avg
Great steady day in the bike. Would have been perfect for a new joiner to the group!
Maybe next week :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzbyjnr

Saturday Cycles version 2 15 Jan 2017 12:42 #11497

• Colm Flood
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 79
Group 3 stats.

We had a good spin yesterday, there was 7 in the group, we cycled 82km & averaged 26 kmph (25.7kmph). We did some controled pace lines on the way back from Arklow on the N11. Special mention to Keith who hadnt been on a bike since November & stuck the pace without a problem & Trevor who was off to NAC to do a 2 hour swim set after the spin :woohoo:

We could do with a couple more in the group, so if you are thinking of moving up to group 3, feel free to have a chat with me...

Colm.

Saturday Cycles version 2 15 Jan 2017 14:58 #11499

• JDarcy1
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 137
Dave B : "To all the hero’s out there! You know who you are, always first to the top of the climb and easily able to round up the stragglers at the back. Please please try the next group. If you are the strongest in your current group and you follow some of the tips above you can easily progress to the next group."
I agree with Dave that if you are the strongest in your group that you should definitely move up to the next group- but conversely, if you have missed quite a bit of cycling or having a bad day, you really should move down a group, even for one spin, as all the groups are now working hard to maintain a pace. It is very important that the group maintains this, it is a training spin after all.

For general group safety, we should all be following cycling etiquette, i.e. as everyone has been taught, to hold your line in the group, not to suddenly switch from one side to the other. If a gap opens between you and the rider in front and you are struggling to close it, wave on the riders behind, do not suddenly switch without advance warning.
A good rotating pace line is smooth and requires concentration from all riders, the riders have to be confident that others in the group will communicate well and ride safely
To be continued :)

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds