TOPIC: Cycling Safety Issues

Cycling Safety Issues 31 Dec 2017 09:44 #13409

• Ciaraoneill
  • Ciaraoneill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 256
Hi guys

Unfortunately we received 2 complaints yesterday in relation to a group of Wicklow Tri Club cyclists between Ballinaclash & Aughrim. The group was apparently stretched over a wide area and made it very difficult for cars to overtake.

Remember, we share the road with other road users. We don’t own it, so please keep safety in your mind at all times.

Some of the key points from the club’s cycling safety documentation, in relation to cycling with traffic are:
- Groups should be restricted to a maximum of 8 people.
- Ride side by side and in line with the person beside you leaving about a 2 foot gap to the wheel in front of you.
- If you are at the front of the group and a vehicle is coming towards you on a narrow road, you shout “car down”. This message should then be passed down the group so that everybody in the groups hears it.
- If you are at the back of the group and a vehicle is coming up behind the group, you shout “car up”. This message should then be passed up the group so that everybody in the groups hears it.
- If the group needs to ‘single out’, which is a command from either the front or back of the bunch, due to the passing of a vehicle, then the cyclist on the front right will cycle in front of the cyclist on his left and then pull in to the left in front of the rider. This will be the same the whole way down the bunch.

Full safety guidelines should be reviewed by all club members in the attached document.

File Attachment:

File Name: WTCCodeofConduct-DosandDonts.docx
File Size: 57 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cycling Safety Issues 31 Dec 2017 14:18 #13412

• Liamo
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Ciara I was out with a group going from Aughrim to ballinaclash there were 6 in the group we were going at a good pace it was a very tight group and I don’t recall any car having any problem overthinking us. I will check with the rest of the group??? Ps we were 2 abreast all the way and it’s a wideish road???

Cycling Safety Issues 31 Dec 2017 16:38 #13414

• Ciaraoneill
  • Ciaraoneill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 256
I can’t imagine it was the group you were with then Liam. We’re not looking to point fingers at anyone, but we want to use it as an opportunity to remind all club members about safety.

Thanks

Cycling Safety Issues 31 Dec 2017 17:31 #13415

• Liamo
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 1
Cool ciara. The only other Wicklow group out yesterday was even smaller and I don’t think they went that way. Maybe it was some other club. ???

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds