TOPIC: An Ode to my Cateye helmet !!!!!

An Ode to my Cateye helmet !!!!! 17 Jun 2015 11:16 #7218

• Brian
  • Brian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi All,
Over the last few years there have been several posts to the forum following bad accidents reminding us all of the importance of wearing good safety equipment with the most important of all a good helmet on the bike. Yesterday I reaped the benefit of paying attention to these posts and feel it’s only right I highlight this as others have done even if it shows me in a very foolish or stupid light(to be explained !!!)
I was cycling home along the N11 just before the garden center when as I rounded the bend I obviously wasn’t watching (this is the stupid bit !!) the road ahead while I was down on the TT bars. Not sure what I was doing that took my eyes off the road for a couple of seconds but when I looked up a big truck had materialized what seemed like 10 yards in front of me in the hard shoulder. In the split second I had to react I realised I had nowhere to go either side of the truck so I went for the brakes and waited to hit. My head quite literally bounced off the truck and my right hand took a lot of the hit as well. Bike, with feet still clipped in ended up under the truck, with the rest of me still attached of course. Ignoring 21 years of paramedic training and experience, in not staying where I was after a high speed blunt trauma impact to head or back, I jumped up in true cyclists fashion and checked my bike ( please keep fingers crossed and say prayers to whomever you normally do that my new bike is ok !!!)
Luckily a passing motorist stopped and came over to me and did what |I should have known to do, got me to sit down and he called an ambulance. Anyway ambulance arrived and I got a chance to be on the receiving end of the care and attention for a change and ended up in Vincent’s A and E. Thankfully nothing broken ( except my pride) and I was let go home last night.
I’ve included a few photos of my helmet which is shattered in 4 places and thankfully did the job it was supposed to do. I won this helmet in my first beast of the east triathlon, as a spot prize I should add not a podium finish, so a big thank you Base2Race. Helmet is only fit for the bin now but will be replaced with one of similar standard very quickly.
Please feel free to slag me for cycling into the back of a truck (maybe allow me a little bit of time to heal), I’ve been in the Dublin Fire Brigade for over 20 years and slagging is a daily pastime and seen as a show of camaraderie and affection, so I would expect nothing less, but I’m just glad I around and in a fit state to receive the slagging !!!!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KIA-MAN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An Ode to my Cateye helmet !!!!! 17 Jun 2015 11:27 #7219

• Darren_S
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi Brian

Sounds like a scary incident. You are one lucky man that you have escaped with relatively minor injuries

Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon

Best of luck with the recovery

Darren
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

An Ode to my Cateye helmet !!!!! 17 Jun 2015 11:47 #7220

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 113
Wow!

Not sure I can muster any attempt at humour after reading that Brian, that's pretty shocking stuff! The very best helmet really is cheap at the price!

Hope you get away with just a few aches, pains and of course a new helmet.

Garry

An Ode to my Cateye helmet !!!!! 17 Jun 2015 12:43 #7222

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 185
Wow, that sounds like a nasty one Brian! Glad you (and the bike) are ok afterwards - very lucky escape! I've often seen John Darcy walking up to people at turbo sessions and making sure they keep their heads up for this very reason. Frightening stuff!

Hope you feel better soon, take it easy in the meantime!

An Ode to my Cateye helmet !!!!! 17 Jun 2015 12:51 #7223

• Paul Evans
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 33
Oooh ! hope you're ok now .....heal well......good to see people posting experiences we can all learn from.......recover well,you;ll be back in no time :)

An Ode to my Cateye helmet !!!!! 17 Jun 2015 13:01 #7224

• lorrbrac
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Brian

OMG !! Glad your OK and the new bike is still in one piece. I'm glad I read this as when I get tired on the bike I get lazy and don't look up alot - I will in future and I know what I will be getting for my birthday next month - a new helmet !!!!! I'm only using a cheap thing at the moment - so thanks for taking the time to make us all aware of how easily accidents can happen and the dangers

I'm glad your OK

Chat soon

Lorraine

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds