• Page:

TOPIC: Skerries Triathlon

Re: Skerries Triathlon 20 Jun 2013 21:23 #1451

• Brian
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 5
this is a farce alright,
The same thing happened in Howth last year when they couldn't get the roads closed, but they had the decency to offer a full refund, or a partial refund if you still wanted to compete in the event as an aquathon.
Sounds like this guy is making up rules so he can keep the money :angry: :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Skerries Triathlon 21 Jun 2013 09:52 #1452

• MikeF
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 4

ConorF wrote: I have to say, that I made a decision never to race another race organised by this "gentleman", as in my opinion, he has no regard for the athletes safety.
I understand that as a private business, you have to make a profit, but not at the risk of injury to anyone.
How can you have a credible race, if the bike leg doesn't count for anything.
Just turn it into an aquathon, and don't risk the athelete safety :angry:

ditto.

One life - Live it!

Re: Skerries Triathlon 21 Jun 2013 21:10 #1453

• niall l
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 1
It also brings races like Dun Laoghaire into question. I was going to enter it but after seeing this, might wait and see.

Think Conor was on the money too!!

Re: Skerries Triathlon 23 Jun 2013 16:01 #1457

• Darragh Phelan
  • Darragh Phelan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 9
Niall & Everybody else,

After doing this race today my advice is do not enter the Dun Laoghaire Triathlon. In fact, listen to Conor and don't enter any races organised by this fella. He just makes things up as he goes on. The swim was shortened in the Olympic race because the buoys ended up somewhere near Bray. What makes it worse that the middle distance race was already in progress with swimmers in the water when the buoys went floating off. I can only imagine the panic they felt as the buoys got further and further away.

The bike course was grand, however it didn't count so us from Wicklow just took our time and had a good aul chat as we slowly cycled around. It was like a nice Saturday spin, however we did get a bit of abuse for drafting. Can you "draft" on a cycle that is not part of the race?

All in all, its a pity that Fingal Triathlon Club don't take over this race because it does have potential. They just need to get rid of that clown.

Re: Skerries Triathlon 24 Jun 2013 14:27 #1471

• Brian
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 5
I have to agree with Darragh, any race organised by this clown should be avoided. Yesterdays swim was beyond a joke, only a handful of safety boats for 3 swim waves over 3 distances. The "safety" power boat at one stage travelled at speed across the half iron swim course with swimmers still in the water. Nobody counting swimmers in or out of the water, in what were challenging swim conditions.
On a positive note well done to Darragh who finished 4th overall in the "olympic distance" race thanks to an excellent 10 km run over a hilly course in testing conditions.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds