Race Report for April 2017 10 May 2017 15:23 #12248

• damocoyle
  • damocoyle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Keep On Keeping On
  • Thank you received: 38
Hello There Everyone.

It’s been awhile since I wrote a report, but juggling a hectic work life, with triathlon training and the general travails of everyday life particularly when a certain PRO likes to procrastinate a little too often for his own good when it comes to writing race reports.

There is a lot to catch up on so I will do my best to remember who done what.

So first, I must mention the North Tipp Sprint in which six Wicklow Triathlon members took part in. The NTS is based in Nenagh and it always gets a great turnout being that it is the first of the National Series races on the Triathlon Ireland calendar. Huge well done to Michael Pearce, Audrey Pearce, Dee Flynn, John Bowes, Fiona McBride and especially Gaby Dillon who finished first in her AG. Congratulations Gaby on a fantastic performance. Results are available to view here at www.redtagtiming.com/results/NenaghSprint2017.pdf

Daniel and Noelle Brennan have been flat out on the running scene lately with Noelle in particular continuing to amaze with a fantastic performance at the Royal Canal Marathon with a time of 4 hours and 36 minutes. Her first marathon and a great time. Dan, being a fantastic marathon runner decided to push the boundaries even further and completed the Ultra distance of 53km at the same event. Huge kudos and congratulations to you both.

I feel Joe Sheehy should have his own dedicated section in these race reports such is the phenomenal form the guy is currently in. He had the Tinahely Duathlon in his sights and victory was indeed his finishing in 1st place for the male over 40s category. Congratulations Joe. No doubt the trend will continue upwards.

Also competing at the Tinahely Duathlon were Wendy Lundy, Karen Murdock and Julie Cole Byrne. Well done girls. I must definitely give this duathlon a go next year judging by the feedback on the event. Many thanks to Heidi Sheehy for providing me with race report.

A big shout out to our National Series captain Noelie Kavanagh is a must, given his performances for the month of April. Noelie competed in Quest Glendalough and also the Tinahely Duathlon finishing second overall for both events. Super going Noelie, let’s hope your training trip to Lanzarote will bring you some first place podium finishes this summer.

On the subject of Quest Glendalough, I have to give a mention to Fiona Kelly who has been plagued with injuries this year. Thankfully she has overcome her injury issues and successfully completed the tough Glendalough course and also made a return to the Wicklow training sessions. Great to see you back Fiona. Fingers crossed for an injury free summer.

Edwina Beirne has been hogging the headlines recently and rightly so. Hours and hours of training in the off season saddle certainly paid dividends for Edwina who took herself and her bike off to Majorca to take part in the Majorca 312km Gran Fondo Espana….yes that’s right 312 KILOMETERS cycling mostly uphill for 14 hours in the baking Balearic sun. All I can say is fair play Edwina, for someone who only took up cycling little over a year ago, that is an epically awesome achievement. Hope you are enjoying the recovery and celebrations.

Wicklow Triathlon Club had one sole representative in the North West of Ireland recently competing at the Liam Ball Sprint Triathlon in Derry. I decided to do this race as it is close to my home town of Buncrana and having the local support there, it was great to see a few familiar faces cheering me on. Conditions were far from ideal. Competitors upon exiting the pool were greeted at T1 with gale force winds making the bike section of the course very tough and challenging but you just dig deep and get on with it. For my first triathlon of the season, I was quite happy with how it went. The winter training I had put in had paid dividends but definitely there is still room for improvement and a lot to be excited about for this summer season of triathlon racing.

And news just in, five gold medals were captured in the Wicklow Schools Track n Field by two girls who need no introduction. Lily and Molly Sheehy put in an outstanding day’s performance to add to their growing collection of medals and trophies. Well done girls and keep up the super effort.

That’s it folks, apologies if I missed anyone but please do keep me posted with what races or events you are participating in over the summer. Hopefully all the winter training will come to fruition. I would like to wish yous all the very best of luck for the summer triathlon season ahead, just remember …..

"Your biggest challenge isn’t someone else, it’s the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs and the voice inside you that yells “CAN’T” but YOU don’t listen….YOU JUST PUSH HARDER and then you hear the voice whisper “CAN” and YOU discover that the person YOU thought YOU were is no match for the person YOU really are!!!"

Keep Smiling, Stay Beautiful and Keep On Keepin On

Damien (WTC PRO)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heidijo, michaelp, Veronica, Noelle, edzen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Damo

Race Report for April 2017 11 May 2017 07:23 #12255

• Veronica
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 16
Absolutely fantastic race report Damian. Very enjoyable reading! Well done to all those racing and flying the flag for the garden county. :)

Best of luck to everyone racing in Carlow. I hope it's a great race and the weather is kind to you all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds