Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: 70.3 Dublin. An account

70.3 Dublin. An account 13 Aug 2015 10:43 #7719

• Paul Evans
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 27
Brilliant and very honest report......oh what a disappointment to miss cut off by 1 min... but you did a fantastic job to finish the swim with all the cramping,getting so cold,and making frequent stops....kudos to you.....you didn't quit ,and were looking to continue and catch up the others ...so that was your best effort given the circumstances .....sort the cramps out and your next race will be very different !.....well done,that was a huge effort, and thank you for sharing....onwards :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

70.3 Dublin. An account 13 Aug 2015 11:09 #7720

• david g
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 24
Kevin. After reading this I tried to put myself in your position and ask myself how I would have coped with all that thrown at me. I don't have an answer. I really don't know. But the guys are right. Putting it out there is good for the soul. You've already done what most of us, myself included, can only dream about with a full Ironman under your belt.

So, I would say head up, get another race done a.s.a.p. and forget the past. It's done.

By the way, I have suffered many times with cramps over the years. For the last couple of years I have been using salt tablets and find if I take them from about four days before an event, along with plenty on the day, the cramps rarely give me any bother. Could be that I'm going a but slower these days though but worth a try for sure.

70.3 Dublin. An account 13 Aug 2015 15:09 #7721

• marieb
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 57
Kevin - god that was tough especially as the swim seemed to be longer and you were the last wave thanks for sharing it with us and no doubt you will be back stronger.

Marie

70.3 Dublin. An account 13 Aug 2015 17:29 #7724

• JohnOC
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 8
Kevin, I enjoyed reading your report, very honest, a pity to miss the cut off by only one minute. But don't let it get you down, put it behind you and look forward to the next race.
I know all too well what it's like to cramp up. I get them when I swim and I get them on the bike.
Like David g. I use salt stick tablets and they give me some relief.
Well done on a mighty effort.

John

70.3 Dublin. An account 13 Aug 2015 21:12 #7726

• VivC
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 3
Kevin... That sure is a hard tale to tell.... We do learn from our experiences .. .good or bad!
Fair play to ya for sharing.
No doubt you will be back on the start line very soon

70.3 Dublin. An account 14 Aug 2015 12:50 #7728

• Mick doc
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 3
Very brave putting pen to iPad with that report Kevin, it's easy and enjoyable to read the great race reports that we have got a chance to read here over the summer but more beneficial is the report of the race that goes wrong and we've all had those but just blocked them out like bad dreams. So disappointed for ya especially knowing that with your cycle and run would have definitely got back into a good position. Like others have said your an ironman, which the vast majority of people will never achieve!

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” - Henry Ford

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds